Welcome to July 1st and to the official start of NBA Free Agency! Shaun Livingston signed a three-year deal with the Golden State Warriors and here are some more happenings from day one around the NBA.
- A bit of an outdated piece of news, Jason Kidd was “traded” to the Milwaukee Bucks for second-round compensation. Kidd is turning his back on the franchise he is associated with most, and this latest act of his is just more proof that he may know basketball, but he obviously just doesn’t “get” certain things.
- F/C Marcin Gortat resigned with the Washington Wizards for five years, $60 million, making him the richest Polish man in North America…That has to be true right?
- The Detroit Pistons signed G Jodie Meeks to a three-year, $19 million contract, and a one-year deal with G Cartier Martin which reminds us that nothing has changed in Detroit.
- G Kyree Irving is the first max-player of the offseason, signing a five-year deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers for $90 million. Irving can’t sign until July 10, so he has time to think things over.
I’m Tired of Rumors Starting
- It is reported that F Chris Bosh and G Dwyane Wade are going to be signing contracts for less money per season in order to keep Lebron James happy with a max-contract. It isn’t confirmed and I would temper expectations until we hear Bosh’s agent stop stating that these reports are false.
- Carmelo Anthony visited the Bulls, and they pulled out all the stops having him meet with players and putting large photos of him in a Bulls jersey up around the United Center. Do I think he goes there? No, because I feel like ‘Melo knows that he will never be Michael Jordan and it could be the same reason why Lebron never went there in the first place.
- Finally for today, Lebron backed up his statement that he wants a max-deal for his next contract. Miami and some other teams can oblige, but one has to wonder why even make this public information? We all know LeBron isn’t going poor, so do we need the reminder that he wants to make $20 million next year?