Jun 28, 2014; Bronx, NY, USA; Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Jon Lester (31) pitches during the first inning against the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

Jon Lester, Red Sox to put contract talks on hold


Starting pitcher Jon Lester has asked the Boston Red Sox to put a hold on contract discussions until after the season has ended, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

Lester has stated in the past that he places more importance on the current season and the well-being of the club. He feels the contract discussions have become a distraction and coming to terms on a new deal is not the main priority at the moment.

With that said, the belief is both parties will look to overcame the unsuccessful negotiations at the conclusion of this season. Both Lester and the Sox have been vocal about their mutual interest in one another.

Heyman reports a source close to Lester says he has a strong desire to remain in Boston moving forward.

Boston initially offered Lester a reported $70 million over four years. That proposed deal fell much short of Lester’s expectations. The two sides have engaged in back-and-forth talks without striking common ground since then.

Lester has been a valuable mainstay in the rotation for many years now. Boston would be wise to adhere to his wishes if they have hopes of retaining him, especially since many teams will be loading up to go after him this winter.

The Sox are struggling. The contract talks have become more of an issue than he would have liked. One can’t fault Lester for wanting to delay the discussions. He just wants to concentrate on the task at hand, and that’s attempting to pitch his team back into contention.

Lester is a perennial winner. He was a key contributor on the 2007 and 2013 World Series teams. It’s certainly hard to picture him pitching elsewhere, but at this point, the possibility is real.

Tags: Boston Red Sox Jon Lester