Just three days removed from back surgery, Boston Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino is already looking ahead to the 2015 season. He has intentions of assuming his right field position come Spring Training despite the arrival of Yoenis Cespedes via the Oakland Athletics.
Victorino underwent a lumbar discectomy earlier this week after spending much of the season on the disabled list. He had the surgery out in Los Angeles and stopped by Angels Stadium to see his teammates prior to Friday night’s contest. Victorino shared some thoughts on his future when asked.
“I have every intention of being the right fielder next year,” said Victorino.
Cespedes is currently manning right field for Boston. The team has even publicly voiced there desire to have him play there moving forward. Victorino is aware of the situation and acknowledged it by stating he’d do whatever is asked of him.
The 33-year-old was suffering from serious pain throughout his lowerbody caused by two herniated discs. That pain is now gone and Victorino says he’s feeling really good. The world renown Dr. Robert Watkins performed the surgery.
Victorino is looking at minimum six-month rehabilitation period. That aside, the veteran plans on being ready for the start of Spring Training.
“I plan to be ready to go, full speed, even before spring training,’’ said Victorino.
Victorino played in just 30 games this season for the Red Sox. The team decided to shut him down for the season a week ago after multiple disabled list stints. He hit .268 with two homers and 12 RBIs this season.
Boston will pay Victorino $13 million in 2015 as he’s set to enter the final year of a three-year $39 million deal.