Apparently nothing interupts Sunday morning.
As of 11:00am, things are very quiet on the free agent front, so quiet in fact that one could get the feeling that it is the calm before the storm – or maybe everyone is all screwed up from springing forward, or maybe the breakfast buffet at the Ramada is especially tasty…
…but then another report out of Miami that the Dolphins have Wes Welker on their Radar, along with Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson…they have the money so maybe they’ll blow it on three wide receivers and leave Tannehill’s blind side exposed? Sounds like the kind of move that makes the Dolphins…well…the Dolphins.
Spend that money, Boys!
In that spirit, here’s a few notes from overnight to get us primed. I will update as events warrant.
Nothing big…not yet, anyway.
Eagles determined to acquire Revis
The Philadelphia Inquirer passes along a rumor that Eagles GM Howie Roseman is “crunching numbers” and “putting together an offer” to acquire Darrelle Revis.
It would make plenty of sense. The Eagles are sickly thin at cornerback with the impending departures of Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and they have a boatload of cap space to meet Revis’ contract demands. Roseman is also an aggressive general manager, even if it’s backfired more often than not. Beat writer Jeff McLane speculates Philly could package the No. 35 overall pick with a future selection to entice the Jets. New York is reportedly “determined” to trade Revis prior the the draft.
That “price” appears to be $7 million and the luxury of being able to miss some or all of training camp. “If we offer him the money, he’ll most likely be back for one more,” said one team source. “He’ll most likely be looking to miss training camp, though.” The heightened salary request isn’t expected to be a major road block, though the whole missing camp issue could. “The money is there,” a source said. “Working out the days he can miss is the biggest holdup.” We expect Gonzo back.
Dolphins serious about Gibson, Welker
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins contacted free agent WR Brandon Gibson on Saturday, and talks are said to be “serious.”
The real juice to the story is that “some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline” last week — five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed. While it’s unclear how talks with Gibson would affect a Mike Wallace pursuit, we’d guess that he would likely be a fallback option. Miami is also said to be interested in free agent Wes Welker.
Just a note from the draft perspective
The National Football Post says Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones’ neck injury is “starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day,” and “there is little chance he falls out of the top ten.”
Independent orthopedist Craig Brigham refutes the notion that Jones ever even had a significant spinal cord contusion, and concluded that Jones either had a mild case of spinal cord concussion or just simply a neck stinger that has long since resolved. “Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction,” said Brigham. After receiving good news on his neck at the Combine, Jones may not be in for such a dramatic tumble down boards on draft day as was initially thought.
Boldin’s Agent trying to get receiver cut?
Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, Profootballtalk.com reports Anquan Boldin’s chances of staying in Baltimore are “parked at 50-50.”
PFT’s Mike Florio passes along “suspicion” that Boldin’s agent is actively trying to get his client cut in hopes of testing free agency and commanding more money than his $6 million salary. It could be a smart business move. The receiver market has been depleted by Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline’s long-term deals, and Boldin would immediately become a top-five free-agent wideout along with Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Wes Welker, and Danny Amendola.
UPDATE: The Ravens have asked Boldin to take a $2 million pay cut, and he has refused…
Harvin wants out of Minnesota
Citing “some good sources around the NFL,” the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Sid Hartman reports Percy Harvin has informed the Vikings that he does not want to play for them anymore and “wants to be traded.”
Hartman is a columnist with a spotty track record, so keep that in mind. After explaining that Harvin doesn’t get along with the coaching and medical staffs, Hartman acknowledges GM Rick Spielman “is in the driver’s seat.” Harvin is signed for 2013 and the Vikings could keep him with consecutive franchise tags the following two seasons. Additionally, Hartman reports Harvin won’t be in attendance when Vikings offseason workouts begin on April 22.