1. Tristan Thompson
Will the Cleveland Cavaliers free Tristan Thompson?
Well that is going to be the million-dollar question over the next week or so as Thompson was hoping to be traded at the NBA Trade Deadline.
More from Boston Celtics
- 3 Most Underpaid Celtics Heading Into the 2023 Season
- Blake Griffin Angling Hard to Re-Sign With Celtics
- Game-by-Game Predictions for the Celtics’ 2023-24 In-Season Tournament Schedule
- Kristaps Porzingis’ Foot Injury is a Problem Despite Celtics’ Optimism
- Marcus Smart, Grant Williams and Ime Udoka all Returning to Boston on 2023-24 Schedule
As of now the Cavaliers claim they will keep Thompson for the remainder of the season even with Andre Drummond added to the mix. The team is reportedly hoping to shop a sign-and-trade for the center over the summer as he will be an unrestricted free agent following the center.
But this is the NBA, and teams and players are known to change their minds seemingly over night when it comes to players and contracts.
So, yes, a Tristan Thompson buyout can still happen and if it does, the Boston Celtics are expected to be in on him as well as other contenders. Averaging 11.9 points and 10.4 rebounds, Thompson is a big man who could put the Celtics over the top.
Just ask former Boston Celtics star Paul Pierce who is already making a plea for Tristan Thompson.
"“Tristan, you are the one player who can put the Boston Celtics over the top,” Pierce said on Thursday’s episode of The Jump. “Taking a couple extra less millions is worth it. I’m telling you, it’s worth it.”"
If Thompson wants to play for a contender this season, losing some money by entering the buyout market should intrigue him. If it does, why not Boston?