Even with the Boston Celtics making an offer, Jaylen Brown and the team are far away from making a deal.
Brown’s contract doesn’t expire until after the 2020-21 season but he is eligible to become a restricted free agent after this season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he garners interest from multiple teams.
More from Chowder and Champions
- New England Patriots: Cam Newton leading workouts should excite fans
- Boston Red Sox: Xander Bogaerts gives you reason to believe in 2020 Sox
- New England Patriots: N’Keal Harry and Cam Newton will be dangerous duo
- New England Patriots: Cam Newton already a historic player
- Boston Celtics: Enes Kanter enjoying life in bubble
Brown has had a pretty impressive start to his career. In his best year he averaged 14.5 points and 4.9 rebounds. Brown really showed his skill in the postseason.
There is definitely a spot for Brown on the Celtics. The question is how much are they willing to pay.
Brown thinks he is more valuable. Now you have to look around the league to understand what Brown is saying.
A 4-year deal worth $100 million would be a perfect meeting place between the two sides. But the NBA is a crazy place. Guys easily get paydays and if he can get $120 million or more somewhere else I bet Brown walks. It’s almost unheard of to see a player take a home town discount to stay with a team.
Brown also seems like he is taking these negotiations very seriously. For the first time in his career he has an agent.
So even though the Celtics seem eager to sign Jaylen Brown, I don’t think a deal will be happening any time soon.